Update on Consequences

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

I have loved all of the feed back concerning Chloe and my lack of mothering skills {Laura}. Dan and I decided that we would take away her TV privileges for four days {she was four} as punishment for cutting Jacob's hair. She has had to do some extra chores to help pay for the fixing of her blind strings. We again talked about how we don't cut our own hair or any one else's, for that matter! I talked to her and told her that if she was to cut any one's hair again, I would cut her blanket up into little pieces and throw it all away. If she pees in or on any of her toys again, they will be immediately thrown out!!! It is so hard to follow through with consequences that make my life harder... Chloe has sucked her pointer finger for so long and we have been trying everything to help her not suck her finger. We have ignored it, painted stuff on that fingernail, dowsed it in vinegar and hot sauce... Most recently, while talking about her upcoming birthday, I told her that if she wanted to have a birthday party with her friends she would have to stop sucking her finger. Her birthday has come and gone and she didn't get a party. I am so disappointed. I had planned to have a two hour birthday/slumber party. Have a few friends over in their PJ's, have popcorn, watch a movie, create fabulous pillow cases, paint toenails {Super Sparkly}, decorate cupcakes, eat them and send them home! She tells me that she wants balloons at her party. I remind her that if she stops sucking her finger I will get balloons at her party...

7 comments:

Erin,  September 24, 2008 at 8:05 AM  

I think all of those sound great! Plus, just remember, sometimes the harder the consequence is to follow through with, the more effective it will be.

~Trish~,  September 24, 2008 at 10:03 AM  

Man, kids are tough on us huh...hang in there mom!! Thanks for stopping by my blog last week when I was featured :) I am trying to still get back to everyone!!

Jeanette Atkinson,  September 24, 2008 at 10:15 AM  

I have found that i have to make a consequence that is not a punishment to myself and that i can also follow through with. Spencer is going hunting this weekend only if he has a C or better in all of his classes. Last year he missed out on a hunt and cried as Brad left, running after him saying please!!! Needless to say, as hard as it was to not just let him go, he has done much better this term in school without me even pestering him. Can you believe an A- in language and history. Follow through so she knows you mean business!!!

Sandy N,  September 25, 2008 at 10:01 PM  

I found you through SITS
I can totally relate to what you are saying about consequences. I have been tying to pray for guidance lately, as well as patience. I think it is helping. But I think coming uo with consequences is the hardest part.

Lisa Allen,  September 26, 2008 at 11:06 AM  

It IS so hard to follow through! I can't even count how many times I have threatened to throw toys away if they don't pick up the playroom, and yet I have never thrown toys away and it's not because they pick up their toys when I ask them to... I guess I just need to come up with a better threat-- I have spent too much money on toys to just throw them in the garbage :p

Becky Darling,  September 26, 2008 at 11:07 AM  

She sucks her finger????? Who could of ever guessed??? I say think back about 25 years or so & think of what worked for you!!! I sucks to have kids EXACTLY like you!!!!!

Anonymous,  September 26, 2008 at 4:43 PM  

OH SAD!! You're doing great. I would do the same for mine. She'll learn. We all did growing up.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails