Drama, Drama, Trauma

Monday, January 5, 2009

Saturday was a turning point. I was really starting to feel better. I was laying in bed around 10:30 in the morning and Chloe came crying to me. She told me she fell on the bar stool downstairs in their fort. She and Seth had gathered any and all blankets and pillows. They had positioned the dining chairs and bar stools. Just before completion, each of them were pulling the blankets their way and there was a crash. Chloe was trying to fix the precarious section that had fallen in but ended up straddling the bar stool. Ouch! I gave her kisses and hugs and she let me check her out to see if she was bleeding ~ she was not. She calmed down once I confirmed there was no blood and we cleaned up the fort. Dan was at the Sand Dunes with the boys and missed all of the drama of trying to get her to sit down in a warm tub. I'm talking screaming and hysterics. She finally sat down and realized that mom's right, it does feels better!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Sunday morning I woke up with a horrible back ache and Seth was showing signs of the stomach flu. He said his tummy hurt and was lethargic. We opted not to spread these fun germs with the nursery... Later on in the day, Chloe would tell us that she had to go to the bathroom but that it burned. Again with the screaming and hysterics but she wouldn't go pee. We were trying to convince her to just go by suggesting that she might need to see the doctor. Shockingly, she piped right up and said that she wanted to go to the doctor! It took us way to long to figure out what insurance information we needed for the first medical incident of the year, but finally after a call to Dan's mom, Chloe and I headed to Primary Children's to figure out how to help this girl go pee...
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
We waited and waited and waited some more. They brought us into a room divided by curtains with 5 other patients. When they asked us what was wrong, I was so nervous that they might think she was abused. Different nurses would come back and double check our information. Chloe was being so calm and thought everything was great. She new this was Hannah's hospital. But, she eventually needed to go to the bathroom and just like at home she started dancing an fidgeting, then the screaming and crying. She finally agreed to go to the bathroom, I got out the sample cup and she was almost about to go for it and chickened out. The doctor finally got to us and was able to check her out but informed us that she would need a urine sample...
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
This story is getting too long, but Chloe was faced with the option of having a catheter put into place or peeing in a cup. She chose the catheter, shockingly. But with the three nurses and me trying to hold her down the doctor decided she needed something to calm her nerves. She was given some versed up her nose and we were moved to a private room. She wanted Dan and was really upset. I tried to call Dan on my cell but he couldn't hear anything over Chloe's distress. But all of the sudden things when all calm and Chloe's eyes went all dreamy. The sedative kicked in and she was in slow motion. She kept fiddling with her bracelet name tag and wanted it off. She would ask me over and over why she had it on and when was it going to be taken off.
The nurse came in and we were able to get the catheter in, but not before she just let loose and peed on the bed. She realized what she had done but just tried to move over to the other side of the bed. The nurse brought some towels to cover up the accident until she could change the bedding and Chloe told me that Hannah could sit there, when she came to color! She was so funny when the medication was starting to wear off. She would start talking really loud and giggle for no reason. She kept saying, "Mom, lets play a game!" Then a few minutes would pass and she would say it again.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
The doctor came and informed us that everything looked good and after getting some liquids in her (One of Hannah's slushy's) she just had to be able to walk around a bit before they would release her for the night. I don't know what is more traumatic for a mother than having to hold down her own child to receive medical treatment. But when the Doctor asked me if Chloe was dramatic, that was down right embarrassing! I am so grateful that I went to the doctor's yesterday instead of in today's snow storm.

7 comments:

Jillene,  January 5, 2009 at 5:15 PM  

I have had to hold dow 2 different children--once with my son at 7 days old and then with Hannah on several occasions for the nurses to cath her. I know how you feel!!
I am glad that she is o.k.!! Scary stuff!!

Jeanette Atkinson,  January 5, 2009 at 7:16 PM  

So with all of the trauma, what ended up being wrong? Did she have a bladder infection or a urinary track infection or what?

Dacia,  January 5, 2009 at 7:47 PM  

Sounds like quite the ordeal. I hate it when I have to hold my kids down for whatever doctor treatment. I usually make my husband if I can get him to go. Hope things get better.

wende,  January 5, 2009 at 8:22 PM  

ouch, i'm glad she's ok. that is no fun at all. i'm glad the versed worked for her - it had the opposite affect on spencer when he was little and needed stiches in his forehead. he became MORE aggitated and it was horrible! anyway, glad you all survived, and i'm glad you're feeling better!

Janiece,  January 6, 2009 at 12:48 AM  

OWWWIIIEEEE!
I am sure she is a bit "tender"
I love watching my kids when they have been drugged for teeth and "stuff"
At least she was wanting to play a game...my son would look at me and go blah blah blah...yea he was 18yrs old!

Linn,  January 6, 2009 at 6:44 AM  

I'm glad she is okay. Sweet little thing. Hope you get some rest and relaxation after all of that!

Annette Anthony,  January 6, 2009 at 9:59 AM  

It's always better to be safe than sorry... Cute little thing. I am so glad that everything is okay. I am sure it is just very tender..OUCH! What a place to hit!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails