Save the Trees!
Tuesday, September 14, 2010
I have still been in the cleaning mode. I have been going through every drawer, cabinet and cubbie in hopes to de-clutter our house and eliminate anything we haven't used for the past year or more. I was able to get Jen and Desirae some new toys but the kids found the potato heads and confiscated them before we could get them out the door. But she did get the little desk and chair, the little people airplane, the larger girly mega blocks, a whole bunch of kitchen food, and even some boy toys that were too babyish for Seth. I started going through the two huge drawers in my office that hold legal hanging files folders. I have two folders stuffed to the maximum and need to file them away in their proper place. The one is bills and statements that I receive and file in a binder for 12 months keeping. The second is Chloe's artwork.
Most of this is from kindergarten but I was able to split the pile in two pretty equal parts. One was a pile of worksheets that she might have cut and pasted on or practiced writing the letter F a dozen time. The other pile was her artwork, her stories, her projects and packets from school. They had a great representation of her handwriting and her gradual improvement. I brought both stack into Dan and asked him, then begged him to let me throw the worksheet pile away. He said he couldn't condone it and that she might just treasure them later. Of course she'll treasure them later, she could scribble a little doodle on a napkin and I would file it away.
She writes us both at least 5 letters a day and by the way, most of you reading this out there, she writes you letters and makes envelopes and we tell her that Daddy will mail them out to you... She goes through so much paper, I can't keep up. If anyone is so inclined to go through their scrapbook paper again, she has me down to bare bones.
I found an idea that might solve my problem. They make those frames that continually flash pictures. If I took a picture or scanned all of her treasures, we could cherish them forever, digitally.

8 comments:
OH MY GOSH! Why are you keeping papers????!!!
Here is what I do, woman - I keep the cutest projects they do, the first 100% test, the report cards in a small to medium rubbermaid box - the rest go in the trash! Did you hear me? IN THE TRASH!
I was going to suggest taking pictures too! Not only does it cut down on what you have to save... you could enter dates too! It works great! Have her hold up her favorites!
I think that sounds good. If you keep everything she does her whole life you are going to be on that show Horders!!!
I agree with Erin! Only save a couple of her favorites!
This sounds like someone you're related to...Throw them away! Don't make her do it later!
I say Chuck them. She's got to resent you for something, and I could probablly live with that one!! HA HA
I had to laugh...OH MY GOSH! I did the same thing...and one day I just said enough is enough...and all but the very few most special things were kept.
I have nieces and little neighbors that try to keep my fridge covered...I now leave them up for a few days and then trash them.
You would never know it by looking at my office...it is a disaster!
throw the work sheets AWAY! i kept so much crap for my older kids and later thought what the hell? why i am i keeping this?! save the cutest things, or sentimental things, then photograph her with the project, or just the project by itself and then CHUCK IT. and you should limit yourself to photographing only a few things. for real.
go watch and episode of "hoarders" and then you'll not feel bad about chucking anything!
(not that i'm saying you're a hoarder, i'm jst saying that that show empowers me to chuck stuff!)
Post a Comment